Thursday, July 26, 2007

 

Tour de France: RSR Wearing the Blue Jersey

As a former amateur bicycle racer, July is always a big month in the Red State Rabble household. Around here, things are put on hold and we watch the Tour de France on Versus and follow the riders over the stages on the Internet.

As a longtime rider and fan, I have to say I'm sick at heart at what's happening in this year's tour with Alexandre Vinokourov testing positive for blood doping, and the wearer of the yellow jersey, Michael Rasmussen, being kicked out of the tour for avoiding out-of-competition drug tests and lying about where he was training.

And all this comes, of course, on the heels of American tour winner Floyd Landis testing positive last year. Favorites for this year's tour like Basso and Ullrich have retired or been suspended over doping allegations.

No matter what happens, I will ride my bike as long as I'm able, and I'll always be a fan of bike racing. To my mind, there's nothing more beautiful than a fast-moving peloton moving along the open road. I just hope that the riders who are cheating will come to their senses and stop before they kill this great race and destroy a beautiful sport.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?