Monday, April 09, 2007
Looking at Evidence for a Change
"But God's Word NEVER changes. It's NOT subject to modification every couple of years when a new discovery is made about the universe. If you really want to have the absolute, unchanging account of everything, go to the book of Genesis."
Yes, what Answers in Genesis says is quite true God's word never, ever changes, even when new evidence is discovered that contradicts what the Bible says:
- The earth isn't flat, as the Bible says, it's a globe.
- The earth isn't fixed and immobile, as the Bible says, its moving through space.
- The earth isn't the center of the universe, and the sun doesn't orbit the earth, as the Bible says, rather, the earth orbits the sun.
- The whole world can't be seen from a tall mountain, as the Bible says, but as Columbus and other explorers discovered there were whole continents unknown to the God of the Bible.
- The God of the Bible knew nothing about telescopes, the moons of Saturn, microscopes, bacteria, electricity, democracy, the internal combustion engine, the light bulb, computers, CD-ROMs, television, the printing press, or the germ theory of disease, either.
So, maybe it's a good thing that scientists change their minds when new evidence is discovered. Perhaps that's a problem with a literal reading of, and unquestioning belief in, the myths recorded by a primitive Middle Eastern people.
They're talking about this on the Internet Infidels Discussion Board now.