Wednesday, February 08, 2006
Evolution Sunday in Kansas
The following Kansas Churches will will come together to discuss the compatibility of religion and science on February 12, Evolution Sunday:
- St. Paul Lutheran Church Herington, KS The Rev. Alix Pridgen
- Plymouth Congregational Church (UCC) Lawrence, KS Peter Luckey, Senior Pastor
- Pilgrim United Church of Christ Leavenworth, KS The Rev. Dr. Elizabeth J. Nicks
- New Jerusalem Church (Swedenborgian) Pretty Prairie, KS The Rev. Jane Siebert
- Trinity Presbyterian Church Topeka, KS The Rev. Shelley Craig, Pastor
- Unity Church of Christianity Topeka, KS The Rev. Michael Jamison
For far too long, strident voices, in the name of Christianity, have been claiming that people must choose between religion and modern science. More than 10,000 Christian clergy have already signed The Clergy Letter demonstrating that this is a false dichotomy. Now, on the 197th anniversary of the birth of Charles Darwin, many of these leaders will bring this message to their congregations through sermons and discussion groups.
Together, participating religious leaders will be making the statement that religion and science are not adversaries. And, together, they will be elevating the quality of the national debate on this topic.