Monday, November 21, 2005

 

What Happens When the Students are Smarter than the School Board

Garrance Burke of the Associated Press asks, "Will Kansas' rep on science hurt the college-bound?"

Sonia Arora, with a stellar GPA and recognition from the National Honor Society, is exceeding Blue Valley West High School's high expectations for the junior class.

Her school regularly sends its graduates to some of the nation's most selective colleges.

But since the State Board of Education voted last week that public schools should treat evolution as a flawed scientific theory, Sonia has started worrying that going to high school in Kansas could be a liability when she applies to college next fall.

"I can separate science and religion just fine. I mean, I'm Hindu, and we have our own creation story. I believe in evolution, too," said Sonia, 16, who dreams of pursuing a science degree at the University of California at Berkeley. "It's just that now I don't know if colleges will think I know the difference."


|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?